By Anna Maria Di Sciullo (ed.)
This quantity brings to fore the centrality of asymmetry in DP, vice president and CP. A finer grained articulation of the DP is proposed, and extra practical projections for restrictive family members, in addition to a sophisticated analyses of case id and presumptive pronouns. The papers on vice president talk about additional asymmetries between arguments, and among arguments and adjuncts. Double-object structures, specificational copula sentences, secondary predicates, and the scope houses of adjuncts are mentioned during this viewpoint. The papers on CP suggest one other articulation of the phrasal projection, justifications for Remnant IP stream, and an research of edition in clause constitution asymmetries. The papers in semantics aid the speculation that interpretation is a functionality of configurational asymmetry. The type/token details distinction is extra argued to correspond to the partition among the higher and decrease point of the word. it's also proposed that time of View Roles are usually not primitives of the pragmatic part, yet are head-dependent different types. Configurationality is additional argued to be required to tell apart contrastive from non-contrastive subject. Compositionality is proposed to provide an explanation for cross-linguistic diversifications within the selectional behaviour of typologically diverse languages.
Read Online or Download Asymmetry in Grammar: Syntax and Semantics PDF
Best linguistics books
The e-book collects contributions from well-established researchers on the interface among language and cognition. It presents an summary of the most recent insights into this interdisciplinary box from the views of common language processing, desktop technology, psycholinguistics and cognitive technological know-how.
This ground-breaking paintings is a close account of an leading edge and in-depth examine of the attitudes of in far more than 500 jap freshmen in the direction of a couple of normal and non-standard in addition to local and non-native forms of English speech. The learn carried out refines the research of learner attitudes by means of making use of a variety of pioneering concepts of angle dimension.
This booklet presents a entire grammatical and lexicographical evaluation of all kinds of past due Samaritan Hebrew in all their literary manifestations from the 12th century to the current. a lot of it truly is dedicated to description of Hybrid Samaritan Hebrew (HSH), which because the thirteenth is used because the major written language of the Samaritan neighborhood.
- Women Writers Dramatized: A Calendar of Performances from Narrative Works Published in English to 1900 (Novels on Stage, V. 3)
- Sapuan (Sepuar) (Languages of the world. Materials)
- Yearbook of Corpus Linguistics and Pragmatics 2016: Global Implications for Society and Education in the Networked Age
- Test bank for fundamentals of English grammar
- Grammar and Meaning: Essays in Honour of Sir John Lyons
Additional resources for Asymmetry in Grammar: Syntax and Semantics
34) a. John left as if he was bored by the meeting. b. Paul will arrive today if not he will arrive tomorrow. c. Luc came in then he climbed the stairs. 12 The morphological spell-out of –wh expressions differs whether the restrictor relates two propositions, the truth value of which could be true, as in (33a), false, as in (33b), not determined, as in (33c), or either true or false, as in (33d). Evidence that –wh elements relate truth conditional elements comes from the fact that in Italian as well as in the other Romance languages including French, the conjunction itself may include the spell-out of the truth value ’true’ and ’false’ in the form of the adverbials ‘yes’ and ‘no’.
By composition of relations two new relations are derived: the relation contain and the relation c-command (sister-contain). Thus, K contains α if K immediately contains α, or K immediately contains L which immediately contains α; conversely α is a term of K if K contains α. And α c-commands β if α, is the sister of K which contains β. See Chomsky (1998) for discussion. . An antisymmetric relation is asymmetric and reflexive, whereas an asymmetric relation is irreflexive. Contrary to an asymmetric relation, an antisymmetric relation may include reflexive relations such as
See Di Sciullo (2000, forthcoming) for discussion. . I assume that the elementary trees in (17a) and (17b) are part of the lexicon. Functional affixes do not differ from derivational affixes in this respect. See Di Sciullo (1999b) for discussion. . Here are some Op-Shells for –wh D Operators. In these representations, the –wh variable in the upper layer is spelled out by th-, the relational head in the lower layer is specified for spatial features, +/–Proxi(mate), and +Loc(ation). The head of the lower clause relates a predicate variable (pred) to an individual type of variable e.